Last Updated - 11/01/2016
(28 U.S.C. Section 1914)
Fees to be charged for services performed by clerks of the district courts (except that no fees are to be charged for services rendered on behalf of the United States).
- Civil Case Filing Fee: $400.00
- For filing or indexing any paper not in a case or proceeding for which a case filing fee has been paid (miscellaneous case): $46.00 (fee increases to $47.00 12/1/16)
- Notice of Appeal to the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals: $505.00
- Notice of Appeal to the District Court from a Magistrate Judge misdemeanor conviction: $37.00 (fee increases to $38.00 12/1/16)
- Records Search: $30.00 per name or item searched.(fee increases to $31.00 12/1/16)
- Certification of any document or paper : $11.00 Exemplication of any document or paper: $21.00.(fee increases to $22.00 12/1/16) (This includes the certification of the exemplified document.)
- Photocopies: $.50 per page.
- For reproduction of an audio recording of a court proceeding: $30.00 including the cost of materials. (fee increases to $31.00 12/1/16)
- For transcribing a record of any proceeding by a regularly employed member of the court staff who is not entitled by statute to retain the transcript fees for his or her own account, a charge shall be made at the same rate and conditions established by the Judicial Conference for transcripts prepared and sold to parties by official court reporters.
- For each microfiche sheet of film or microfilm jacket copy of any court record, where available: $6.00.
- For retrieval of a box of records from a Federal Records Center, National Archives, or other storage location removed from the place of business of the court: $64.00. There will be a $39 fee for the retrieval of each additional box..
- For a check paid into the court which is returned for lack of funds: $53.00
- For admission of attorneys to practice: $276.00 (fee increases to $281.00 12/1/16) For certificate of good standing: $18.00 (fee increases to $19.00 12/1/16) Duplicate attorney admission certificates: $18.00 P(fee increases to $19.00 12/1/16) Pro Hac Vice Admission $276.00 (fee increases to $281.00 12/1/16) for each application granted (LR 83.1)
- The court may charge and collect fees, commensurate with the cost of printing, for copies of the local rules of court. The court may also distribute copies of the local rules without charge
- The clerk shall assess a charge of up to three percent for the handling of registry funds, to be assessed from interest earnings and in accordance with the detailed fee schedule issued by the Director of the Administrative Office of the United States Courts.Effective 12/1/16 for handling registry fnds deposited with and held by the court, the clerk shall assess a charge from interest earnings in accordance with the detailed fee schedule issued by the Director of the Administrative Office of the U.S.Courts. For management of registry funds invested through the Court Registry Investment System (CRIS) a fee at an annual rate of 10 basis points of assets on deposit shall be assessed from interest earnings, excluding registry funds from disputed ownership interpleader cases deposited under 28 U.S.C. Sect. 1335 and held in a CRIS Disputed Ownership Fund. For management of funds deposited under 28 U.S.C. Sect. 1335 and inested in a Disputed Ownership Fund through CRIS a fee at an annual rate of 20 basis points of assets on deposit shall be assessed from interest earnings. The Director of the Administrative Office has the authority to waive these fees for cause.
- For filing an action brought under Title III of the Cuban Liberty & Democratic Solidarity (LIBERTAD) Act of 1996, P.L. 104-114, 110 Stat. § 785 (1996), $6,355.00. (fee increases to $6,548.00 12/1/16)(This fee is in addition to the filing fee prescribed in 28 U.S.C. 1914(a) for instituting any civil action other than a writ of habeas corpus.)
- Other Fees pursuant to 28 U.S.C. §1821 Witness Fee $40.00 a day. Mileage 55.5 cents a mile round trip.