Last Updated - 121/01/2016
(28 U.S.C. Section 1914) Fees
- Civil Case Filing Fee: $400.00
- For filing or indexing any paper not in a case or proceeding for which a case filing fee has been paid (miscellaneous case): $47.00
- Notice of Appeal to the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals: $505.00
- Notice of Appeal to the District Court from a Magistrate Judge misdemeanor conviction: $38.00
- Records Search: $31.00 per name or item searched
- Certification of any document or paper : $11.00 Exemplication of any document or paper: $22.00 (This includes the certification of the exemplified document.)
- Photocopies: $.50 per page.
- For reproduction of an audio recording of a court proceeding: $31.00 including the cost of materials.
- For transcribing a record of any proceeding by a regularly employed member of the court staff who is not entitled by statute to retain the transcript fees for his or her own account, a charge shall be made at the same rate and conditions established by the Judicial Conference for transcripts prepared and sold to parties by official court reporters.
- For each microfiche sheet of film or microfilm jacket copy of any court record, where available: $6.00.
- For retrieval of a box of records from a Federal Records Center, National Archives, or other storage location removed from the place of business of the court: $64.00. There will be a $39 fee for the retrieval of each additional box..
- For a check paid into the court which is returned for lack of funds: $53.00
- For admission of attorneys to practice: $281.00 For certificate of good standing: $18.00 Duplicate attorney admission certificates: $19.00. Pro Hac Vice Admission $281.00 for each application granted (LR 83.1)
- The court may charge and collect fees, commensurate with the cost of printing, for copies of the local rules of court. The court may also distribute copies of the local rules without charge
- The clerk shall assess a charge of up to three percent for the handling of registry funds, to be assessed from interest earnings and in accordance with the detailed fee schedule issued by the Director of the Administrative Office of the United States Courts. For handlng registry fnds deposited with and held by court, the clerkshll assess a charge fro m interst earnings in accordane with the detailedfee schedule issued by the Dirctor of the Adminisrative Office of the U.S. Courts. For management of registry funds invested through the Court Registry Invstment Fund (CRIS) a fee at an annual rate of 10 basis points of assets on eposit shall be assessed from interest earnings, excluding registry funds from disputd ownership interpleader cases depoied nder 28 U.S.C. Sect 133 and held in a CRIS Disputed Ownership Fund. For management of funds deped under 28 U.S.C. Sect. 1335 and invested in a Disputed Ownership Fund through CRIS a fe at an annual rate of 20 basis points of assets on deposit shall be assessedfrom interest earnngs. The Director of the Administrative Ofice has the authority to waive these fees for cause.
- For filing an action brought under Title III of the Cuban Liberty & Democratic Solidarity (LIBERTAD) Act of 1996, P.L. 104-114, 110 Stat. § 785 (1996), $6,548.00. (This fee is in addition to the filing fee prescribed in 28 U.S.C. 1914(a) for instituting any civil action other than a writ of habeas corpus.)
- Other Fees pursuant to 28 U.S.C. §1821 Witness Fee $40.00 a day. Mileage 55.5 cents a mile round trip.